With temperatures dropping faster than my credit card at a New York City sample sale, it is clear summer is drawing to a close. And while I’m somewhat sad about it, I’m here to tell you that you still have a few weeks left to get in a few extra hours of your favorite summer social activities. Here are the top five activities you can participate in for the next few weeks, while Fall slowly creeps up on us –
- Picnic in the park – There is nothing that says summer quite like a picnic in the park. While you kick off your shoes and lounge in the verdant fields, take in every last minute of that sweet summer breeze and sip all the rosé you can, because it’s about to turn a darker shade. Pick up some last minute seasonal foods like berries and fresh salads and head over to one of New York’s iconic open spaces for some frolicking and feasting al fresco, while you can.
- Rooftop Rendezvous – Work, work, work, work, work. NYC summer rooftop parties remind us why we do it. With more and more high-in-the-sky bars popping up every year, reveling on New York City’s rooftop bars seems to be a favorite pastime for us all. And while I’m sure you’ve checked many off your list this summer, there’s still a little bit of time to finish checking out NYC’s prime summer real estate. So go ahead and head up, stunning views and the warm (ish) summer breeze are waiting for you to say their final goodbyes!
- Active Outdoors – With endless paths of beautiful scenery and cityscapes, it’s no wonder New Yorkers love getting out for their exercise. But because much of the year is out of the question for these type of activities, summertime is a perfect time to explore the outdoors. Go hiking upstate, kayak the Hudson or take a Citibike for a ride. I promise it’ll be worth it. After all, you don’t want to regret not spending enough time outside when those brutal winter months pop in.
- Patio Perks – If, for some reason, you don’t want to head up the elevator to the top floor to relish on the rooftop, there are plenty of ground level options for you, including the various precious patios many restaurants offer. While some are curbside, many are hidden, creating a private enclave that makes for an extra special meal or drink. Some of my favorite spots include The Waverly Inn, Olio e Piu, Grand Electrica and Santina, just to name a few! But for a more comprehensive list, visit my “bible” TimeOut.com .
- Bounce into the Botanical Gardens – Both the New York Botanical Gardens in the Bronx and the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn are two of the loveliest locales to enjoy the final days of this gorgeous weather weather we’ve had. Both gardens offer various exhibits, workshops and events for their guests, so be sure to plan ahead to make the most out of your visit to these gorgeous grounds!